Indulgent chocolate chip cookies —KAY MILNE
- Makes 18
1 3/4 cups
unbleached all purpose flour
yolk from large egg
1 1/4 cups
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. place rack in center position
- whisk flour and baking soda in medium bowl and set aside
- Melt 8 Tbsp butter in stainless steel frying pan over medium heat. Stir until butter browns and becomes a deep amber color. (The color or dark brown sugar). Be careful not to burn butter.
- Place melted butter in large heat proof bowl. Add remaining 4 Tbsp butter and stir in until melted. Then stir in granulated and brown sugars, salt, and vanilla. Add whole egg and egg yolk and mix thoroughly. Set aside. After 3 minutes, stir again for approximately 1 minute. Wait 3 minutes and stir again for 1 minute. (this helps the sugar melt into the butter.)
- Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and stir until incorporated. Add chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes so dough stiffens somewhat.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper or silpat. Portion cookies onto tray in approximately 2 Tablespoon measures.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until edges are golden brown but centers are still soft. Cool on baking tray for 15 minutes.
- This freezes very well. I portion cookies onto silicon lined baking tray and freeze until hard. Then I can bake as needed/wanted. If baking immediately from freezer, add 2 minutes to cooking time
- I found the browned butter method on Cook's Country website. I combined various recipe ideas since there are many recipes for chocolate chip cookies.
- I make very small cookies - approximately 1 Tablespoon each so I can have a treat that only has 75 calories. Using a 1 Tablespoon measure makes approx 32-36 cookies.