Trick or Treat?
As a child, I was always mortified when some mean old bitty would choose the former and I would find myself empty handed and drenched in water. Does Ms. Pennyweather from 666 Pure Evil Lane not understand that depriving a child her treats is like depriving an alcoholic a drink?
Please do not follow Ms Pennyweather’s example, arm yourself. Shower those children in pellets of sweet delights, have them squealing like the little piglets that they are, with their gums peeling from their teeth in gleeful terror. Reward them with slithering eyeball jellies as their futility of escape becomes ever more obvious. Always apply the 'one-for-you, one-for-me' rule.
I know it can get stressful trying to adhere to a diet or eating plan when everyone around you has ready-made options. However, there is no need to descend into the trickery of store bought artificial sugar bombs, stick to your guns and get creative!
I’ve made Orange Basket Cases, Marzipan Finger Food, Bitter Sweet Gummies and with the leftover marzipan and some beetroot juice I made a whole bunch of body parts, modeled from my own face (finally, I reveal the reason I do not include myself in pictures).
Prepare for the hoards of Hallows Eve with treats that will not only satiate the salivating tongues of greedy youth, but will also fuel their little bodies for a night of sacrificial devouring and moon howling. And of course, everything is gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free and safe on the SCD and Paleo diet. —Sandra Ramacher
- Makes 25 fingers
1 1/4 cups
beetroot juice (for body parts)
- Fill your large pan with cold water, adding ice cubes if you wish.
- Pour your honey into a saucepan and bring to a simmer on low.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, leaving the element on the stove on.
- Place the pot in the cold water. Add honey and stir for 3-4 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Add the egg whites and almond flour/meal, place back on heat and stir for 2-3 minutes until thick.
- Pour into electric food processor and mix on low for about 20-30 minutes, or until it cools to room temperature.
- Place in a sealed container and refrigerate overnight (minimum 8 hours).