- Makes 1 batch
Made the traditional Italian way, no oil and no butter. —Posie (Harwood) Brien
What You'll Need
1 1/4 cups
Cognac (or 1 T. Cognac and 1 T. almond extract)
toasted chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While oven is preheating, toast your almonds on a baking sheet until golden brown and fragrant. Roughly chop the toasted almonds.
- Warm eggs (in hot water, uncracked) until lukewarm.
- Then mix the eggs with the sugar in a stand mixer on high speed until at least doubled in volume (about 5 minutes). It should form very thick ribbons when the beater is lifted. Gently fold in vanilla and Cognac (and almond extract if using).
- Sift combined flour, salt, and baking powder over batter and fold in. Fold in nuts.
- Form into two "loaves" on a cookie sheet, about 3-4 inches wide and 1 inch tall. (Helps to use wet hands.)
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (until loaves just spring back). Let cool a bit (or all the way).
- Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, and put the slices on their side on 2 cookie sheets, and put sheets into a turned-off 350 oven until they are dry and crisp. (You can leave them in as long as you want since oven is off.)