If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Semifreddo is without a doubt my new favourite thing. It delivers an incredibly delicious ice cream and has to be the easiest way of making ice cream when you do not have an ice cream maker. —heinstirred
- 1 cup fresh granadilla (passion fruit juice) (I used 6 fresh grandillas and passed the pulp through a sieve to remove pips)
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 120 grams caster sugar
- pinch salt
- 500 milliliters whipping cream
- 100 grams dark chocolate (70% or 85%)
- 250 milliliters whipping cream
- fresh strawberries
- Line a 2 litre loaf pan with plastic wrap with the wrap hanging over the edges.
- Place the grandadilla (passion fruit) juice in a small pan and get to a fast boil for about 5 minutes until slightly reduced
- Place the eggs, yolks, sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and using a hand-held electric mixer, beat about 8 minutes until thick and pale. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the cream through the egg mixture until combined.
- Fold through the granadilla (passion fruit) juice until combined.
- Pour into the prepared tin, smooth the top and loosely cover with plastic wrap. Freeze overnight or at least 8 hours until frozen through.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces. Combine with 250ml cream in a heavy bottomed pan and place over a low heat. Stir the cream and chocolate mixture until just melted. Remove from the heat and beat for about 5 minutes until smooth and shiny.
- Let it cool down and pour over the frozen semifreddo into the loaf pan and smooth the top. Cover the loaf pan with another piece of wrap and place in the freezer for another 6 - 8 hours.
- When ready to serve, take from the freezer and let it stand for 5 minutes. Turn the loaf pan over on a serving dish and unmould the semifreddo. Remove the plastic and top with fresh strawberries and serve