If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Put this on your holiday dessert list!
View it on the blog: http://www.yanashaskitchen.com/recipes/pear-pie —Cindy
Makes 1 pie
- 2 Pears
- 1 cup unsalted butter or margarine (or two sticks)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 425° F
- In a food processor, pulse 1 stick of cold butter (cut into cubes) with 1 cup all purpose flour & 1 teaspoon salt until dough forms (you will likely have to finish forming dough with your hands after you take it out of the food processor).
- Roll dough out with a rolling pin so that it's wide enough to cover the bottom of your round pie pan, and have room to press up the sides of the pan (like a crust).
- Press dough into the bottom of the pan and around the sides, ensure all around the pan is coated with the crust.
- This step is optional: I sprinkled some ground cinnamon into the pie crust so that it's a little more flavorful. I fully believe in cinnamon.... on everything.
- Bake crust alone for about 20 mins or until slightly browned.
- Filling: Slice pears very thin (I used a mandoline slicer, but you can just do this with a utility/paring knife). Remove any seeds.
- In a medium bowl, coat sliced pears with brown sugar, remaining ground cinnamon, gloves, and ginger. Add a little salt if you'd like.
- Remove bottom crust from the oven and fill it with the above mixture.
- Top crust: Repeat steps 2-4. Roll dough out over the pie filling with your hands (to cover the pie) and gently tuck in the corners using the excess dough (you may have to pinch a little to ensure that the top crust stays on!)
- Cut two slits on the top so the filling has room to breathe TIP: wiggle your knife so the slits are a little wide, since the dough will expand a little as it cooks.
- Put pie into the oven first, then lower the degrees to 350° F and bake for about an hour or until the top crust is golden brown!