If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Slow cooked pork shoulder smothered in a chipotle gravy then packaged up in a buttery pie crust —Camille Koppenberg
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked pork or chicken
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced potatoes, boiled for 4 minutes
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 rolls prepared pie crust
- cilantro to garnish
- To make the slow cooked pork: Season a 2-3 lb pork shoulder liberally with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Place it in a crock pot and add chicken broth to cover half of the pork shoulder. set the crockpot to low and let it go all night (about 8-10 hours is fine) in the morning shred the pork in the pot with the juices and set aside 1 1/2 cups for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the pot.
- Whisk the flour and butter together, letting it bubble for about 1-2 minutes.
- While whisking, slowly add the chicken broth to the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- The mixture should thicken in about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the minced chipotle peppers, shredded pork and diced potatoes. Set the mixture aside.
- Flour your work area liberally.
- Roll out the pie dough gently and cut out circles using a 3 inch cookie cutter. (I used a dessert cup.)
- To assemble the hand pies, place about 2 tbsp of the pork mixture in the middle of a pie circle.
- Sprinkle about 1 tbsp of cheddar on top.
- Then lay another pie circle on top.
- Gently pinch the dough around the circle.
- Score the edges of the dough with a fork.
- Repeat until you've ran out of pie dough.
- Bake the pies for 30-35 minutes (or until the edges start to brown.)
- For the last 5 minutes, place about 1 tbsp of cheddar cheese on top of each pie.
- Serve with sprinkled cilantro on top.