Author Notes: Slow cooked pork shoulder smothered in a chipotle gravy then packaged up in a buttery pie crust —Camille Koppenberg
cups shredded cooked pork or chicken
tablespoons unsalted butter
cups chicken broth
cup diced potatoes, boiled for 4 minutes
chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
cup shredded cheddar cheese
rolls prepared pie crust
cilantro to garnish
In This Recipe
- To make the slow cooked pork: Season a 2-3 lb pork shoulder liberally with salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Place it in a crock pot and add chicken broth to cover half of the pork shoulder. set the crockpot to low and let it go all night (about 8-10 hours is fine) in the morning shred the pork in the pot with the juices and set aside 1 1/2 cups for this recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a small pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the pot.
- Whisk the flour and butter together, letting it bubble for about 1-2 minutes.
- While whisking, slowly add the chicken broth to the mixture.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- The mixture should thicken in about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the minced chipotle peppers, shredded pork and diced potatoes. Set the mixture aside.
- Flour your work area liberally.
- Roll out the pie dough gently and cut out circles using a 3 inch cookie cutter. (I used a dessert cup.)
- To assemble the hand pies, place about 2 tbsp of the pork mixture in the middle of a pie circle.
- Sprinkle about 1 tbsp of cheddar on top.
- Then lay another pie circle on top.
- Gently pinch the dough around the circle.
- Score the edges of the dough with a fork.
- Repeat until you've ran out of pie dough.
- Bake the pies for 30-35 minutes (or until the edges start to brown.)
- For the last 5 minutes, place about 1 tbsp of cheddar cheese on top of each pie.
- Serve with sprinkled cilantro on top.