If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A spicy beef stew reminiscent of Vietnamese Pho. Slow cooked beef shanks are served with carrots and rice noodles in a spicy lemon grass broth seasoned with star anise and all spice. This dish is best prepared the night before. —Camille Koppenberg
- 3 lb bone in beef shank
- 32 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1 bunch carrots, chopped
- 10-12 stalks of lemon grass, broken up
- 5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Vietnamese shrimp paste
- 1/4 cup Vietnamese fish sauce
- 7 star anise pods
- 1/2 tablespoon whole all spice
- 1 piece ginger, about 1 inch
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 package cooked rice noodles
- 1 bunch cilantro, thai basil and green onion
- In a slow cooker place beef shanks, carrot, broth and lemon grass. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Once cooked, separate the broth from the beef and carrots.
- Discard the lemon grass.
- At this point, you may want to refrigerate the broth to solidify the fat solids for removal. If you decide to skip this step, carefully skim the fat from the top and discard.
- Pour the broth in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- To make it easier, I wrap the star anise and all spice in cheese cloth so I can fish them out later.
- To the broth add water, shrimp paste, fish sauce, star anise, all spice, ginger, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove the ginger, star anise and all spice.
- Add back in the beef and carrots.
- Serve the soup over cooked rice noodles and garnish with cilantro, thai basil and green onion.