If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I made these in Lodge's mini cake pan (http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/drop-biscuit-pan-L7B3), but you can use a muffin tin.
Chicken soup concentrate: I like using the Orrington Farms brand. Better Than Bouillon also makes a good soup concentrate. Refer to the directions on the labeling to see how much concentrate you need for 2 cups of liquid. —molly yeh
Makes 10 to 12
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- enough chicken soup concentrate for 2 cups of liquid (see headnote)
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds pie dough
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and add the onion, stirring until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the flour so that it gets evenly distributed. Whisk together the milk and chicken soup concentrate and pour it into the skillet. Whisk the mixture constantly until it begins to thicken.
- Add the carrots, chicken, peas, thyme, and pepper, and simmer, stirring often, for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chicken is fully cooked. Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- At this point, I find it easiest to let the mixture cool and then form my pies, but you can definitely form your pies immediately if you'd like.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Lightly grease your molds. Line them with pie dough so that there is some overhang on the edges (for my pan, I used a 5 1/2-inch circle). Spoon in a heaping 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture, place a smaller (3- to 4-inch) circle on top, and then crimp the edges from the bottom circle over. Poke a few holes in the top. bake until golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and enjoy! Leftovers can be wrapped individually and frozen.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!