If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This lemon roasted chicken recipe is flavorful, tender and insanely succulent. With just a whole lemon, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil, you will probably have the best roasted chicken ever! For a perfect meal, serve it with the popular Belgian side dish, stoemp (mashed potatoes + root vegetables). —Joana
For the Roasted Chicken
- 1 chicken (approx.1,5kg/ 3,3lbs)
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
For the Stoemp
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chunked
- 1 cup cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF.
- Place the chicken in a large roasting pan.
- Insert the whole lemon inside the chicken. Please DO NOT open or cut the lemon.
- Season with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Put it in the oven and roast for 40 minutes. Open the oven and make little cuts in the chicken with a sharp knife but be careful not to perforate the lemon. Drizzle the sauce into the chicken with a spoon.
- Roast for another 40 minutes. There is no need to turn the chicken.
- While the chicken is roasting, boil the veggies in a large pan with a pinch of salt. When the vegetables are still firm but soft enough to mash, drain and mash them with a potato masher leaving some bits of vegetables for crunchiness.
- With a wooden spoon, well incorporate the milk and egg and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg, to taste.
- I suggest serving the stoemp in the form of duchess potatoes. In order to do so, force the purée from a piping bag in the desired shape and bake in the oven along with the chicken at 190ºC/375ºF for 40 minutes or until golden.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2