Author Notes: Carne Asada Baja Street Tacos are the simplest but most perfect little tacos you'll ever taste. One will put you right on the beach.
pounds flank steak, fat trimmed off (the butcher will do that in a jiffy if you ask nicely)
cup vegetable oil (or canola oil), approximately
cup chopped cilantro leaves (a few handfuls)
lime, sliced into wedges
large white onion, sliced thinly
teaspoon Mexican sour cream to top each taco (optional)
dashes of your favorite hot sauce per taco
tablespoon black pepper
In This Recipe
- Place a large griddle or pan on the stove, on high heat.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of oil to the steak and rub all over.
- Place the steak onto the hot griddle/pan and cook for about 5 min per side.
- Remove from heat and let rest while you prepare the tortillas.
- In a small pot/pan on high heat, add about 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil heats up, add a tortilla for about 10 seconds per side and place onto a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and add more oil to the pot as needed.
- Slice the steak against the grain and then cut the strips into smaller 1-inch pieces for the tacos.
- Assemble the tacos: Add steak, onion, and cilantro to a tortilla. Squeeze a bit of lime onto each taco. Top with hot sauce and Mexican sour cream. Enjoy!