Author Notes: Many years ago my sister Corrine put together a "Favorite Family Recipes" book and included this recipe. This has become our Favorite special breakfast, brunch, community dish. I have tweaked the original to suit my tastes. —karen
Apples (I prefer tart apples that are a little soft)
tablespoons Butter (used to saute apples)
tablespoons Butter ( dot on top of casserole)
cup Sugar (I use a little less than 1/2 cup. I don't like things real sweet)
Eggs (I use eggs from my own free range chickens makes for a healthy and rich yellow casserole
tablespoons Cinnamon/Sugar (I just sprinkle on until I thinks it looks good)
- Melt butter in a large cast iron pan.
- Add peeled, cored and sliced apples to the melted butter. Saute apples until slightly soft.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a blender and mix, scraping sides to make sure completely mixed.
- Pour saute apples into a 9" x 11" deep cake/casserole dish.
- Pour mixture from blender over apples.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dot 2 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle cinnamon/sugar lightly over casserole.
- Return to oven for 5 more minutes
- Serve for breakfast with bacon or sausage patties. Some may prefer a dessert topped with ice cream or whipped cream
- Quick Easy and Delicious
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good