If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: For those days when you crave cinnamon buns but are short on time, this recipe is the answer. I was inspired by a recipe for a quick cinnamon-spiked coffee cake in a Fleishmann's Yeast ad, but true to form, I had to go and healthy-it-up. My middle child can finish the whole pan by himself, but we encourage him to share. —Windischgirl
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 packet rapid-rise or instant yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cup milk, warmed to 110-120F
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 large egg
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan and dust with flour.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, salt, and yeast. Add in the warm milk, oil, and egg, and whisk until smooth.
- Using a spatula, scrape the batter into the greased baking pan, spreading it evenly, and cover loosely with plastic wrap or a dish towel. Set aside for about 15 minutes, in a warm and draft-free area, while you make the topping.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a microwave-safe dish, melt the butter. Stir in the brown sugar and cinnamon until well blended; the mixture will be crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over the batter. Using a butter knife, push the topping down into the batter. Feel free to swirl the topping around; no two Cinnamon Swirls should ever be the same!
- Place the pan into a cold oven, set the temperature to 375F, and bake until golden brown and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean...about 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 minutes, if possible, before inhaling.
- Optional: If desired, this lily can be gilded with vanilla icing. To 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 Tablespoon milk. Stir until smooth and drizzle-able; add a drop or two more of milk to thin to desired consistency. Drizzle on after the 10 minute cooling period.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good