If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A good biscuit is a beautiful thing, but these biscuits in particular are extra wonderful due to the undeniable fact that pretty much anything can always be just a little bit tastier with the addition of cheese. Also, some additional savory notes in the form of fresh scallions are never a bad thing. And finally, three words. Hot. Sauce. Butter. Need I say more? —Sarah | Wisconsin from Scratch
Makes 6 large biscuits
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
cup chilled buttermilk
cup finely grated sharp white cheddar cheese
cup chopped scallions (green part only)
hot sauce butter
tablespoons butter, softened
teaspoon hot sauce (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper until well mixed.
- Cut the butter into very small pieces and add to the bowl. Using your hands, work the butter into the flour until the pieces are small and the mixture has a grainy texture.
- Stir in the buttermilk, grated cheddar, and scallions and mix until a cohesive dough has formed.
- Place dough on a well floured surface and roll out into a large square (about 1 foot x 1 foot). Fold the dough into thirds crosswise, by bringing the left side into the middle, followed by the right side. Now fold into thirds again lengthwise, by bringing the top into the middle, followed by the bottom. At this point, you should have a small square of dough with several layers.
- Roll the square of dough out top to bottom until you have a slightly bigger rectangle. Use a sharp knife to cut into 6 equal pieces. Place biscuits on a greased baking sheet, then transfer to the oven.
- Bake at 400 degrees until biscuits are a lovely golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- While biscuits bake, make the butter: mix together the softened butter with the hot sauce until a smooth consistency is achieved. Add additional hot sauce to taste if more heat is desired. Serve biscuits warm with hot sauce butter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good