- Serves 18
As this fragrant sweet bread bakes, it will suspend you in anticipation for Christmas morning. Scented with sweet orange zest and studded with inebriated tart cherries, this cake like bread/is best dunked in a mug of hot chocolate or a glass of vin chaud as a mid afternoon snack while wrapping presents.
Toast up leftovers and spread with marmalade, or bake up with a basic custard for the best bread pudding. —crushlush
Whole Milk - lukewarm
Envelopes Active Dry Yeast
2 1/2 ounces
Gluten Free Flour
Gluten Free Flour
Psyllium Husk Powder
Eggs - room temperature
Whole Milk - room temperature
Unsalted Butter - room temperature
Dried Tart Cherries
Sliced Almonds - toasted
Orange - zest of
- In a small bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of warm milk and yeast together; gradually adding the flour till well combined.
- In a standing mixer with a dough hook, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and psyllium husk powder. With the mixer running, add each egg one by one followed by the milk and kirsch. Mix the dough for about five minutes.
- When the dough looks well combined, gradually add the butter a tablespoon at a time. Once the butter has been incorporated, add your starter mix. Continue mixing until the dough looks elastic and fluffy.
- Add the cherries, zest, and almonds, and mix until incorporated.
- Dust a large bowl with gluten free flour and scrape the dough into a ball into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave in a warm area for 2 hours.
- Prepare you Kugelhopf pan or large bundt pan with the remaining tablespoon of butter. If your not confident that your pan will release your Kugelhopf, grease with additional butter.
- After your dough has risen, punch the dough down, and add to your prepared pan. Place the Kugelhopf in the oven at your lowest setting and allow to proof for 45 minutes.
- After your dough has proofed a second time, lightly cover with foil and baked at 400 degrees for 45 minutes and remove the foil. Continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Unmold your Kugelhopf onto a rack, and allow to cool completely. To serve, dust with powdered sugar.