If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chicken noodle soup recipe from scratch. Rice star noodles, carrots, kale, red peppers and chicken in broth, seasoned with mint. A classic revisited with seasonal veggies. 500 stars! —Joana
For the Chicken Broth (adapted and simplified from Tyler Florence)
- 1 whole free-range chicken, rinsed, giblets, wings, legs and skin discarded
- pinches of salt
- Place the chicken in a large pot over medium heat with enough water to cover the chicken and allow it to slowly come to a boil.
- Add salt, lower the heat to medium-low and gently simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, partially covered, until the chicken is done. As it cooks, skim any impurities that rise to the surface; add a little more water if necessary to keep the chicken covered while simmering.
- Carefully remove the chicken to a cutting board. When its cool enough to handle, discard the remaining skin and bones and hand-shred the meat.
- Carefully strain the stock to remove any remaining solids.
For the Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup rice star noodles (vermicelli or orzo)
- 3 big kale leaves, chopped into small, bite-sized pieces
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- In the same pot where you´ve cooked the broth, add the vegetables and let them simmered in the broth for about 30 minutes.
- Add the noodles, salt to taste and let cook until done (normally 7 minutes).
- Serve with mint leaves.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Noodles