If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: At our family Thanksgiving dinner, several cranberry dishes sit next to the turkey Silly Salad. This cranberry sauce concoction is covered with a white blanket of cream cheese and whipped cream and served quasi-frozen. It's tart, sweet, creamy, slightly tangy all at the same time. Canned whole or jellied cranberries can be used instead of making the cranberry sauce from scratch; however, you'll be amazed at how easy it is to make homemade cranberry sauce. The nuts can be omitted and you can customize the sauce by adding a dash of ground cinnamon or finely grated orange zest. The recipe can be doubled for a 13" x 9" dish.
The dish is also a good traveler - no sloshing or falling apart. I hope this Silly Salad shows up at your Thanksgiving table. At the very least, the funny name brings smiles into the dinner conversation. This recipe is also on www.GinsKitchen.com. —Gin Yang | GinsKitchen.com
Makes 8' square
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and granulated sugar to a boil over medium high heat. Add cranberries and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a high simmer and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Mix in lemon juice and pour cranberry sauce into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic dish. Cool for 30-45 minutes at room temperature and then place in freezer. Alternatively, use 1 1/2 cans of canned cranberry sauce, jellied or whole. Mix in lemon juice and spread into 8-inch square dish and freeze.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together well softened cream cheese, powdered sugar and mayonnaise. In a small mixing bowl, whip whipping cream with a hand mixer on high until peaks are stiff. Gently fold whipping cream and chopped pecans into cream cheese mixture. Spread evenly on top of cranberry sauce. Wrap dish tightly with 2 layers of plastic wrap and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove dish and plastic wrap one hour before serving.