Author Notes: This cranberry compote is a simple yet delicious addition to turkey dinners, as a topping for ice cream, stirred in margaritas for holiday parties (or just cause), and my personal favorite, straight out of the saucepan! It's easily scaled to make more, just double as needed.
-I recommended using a lime in the recipe, however any citrus fruit works! I have tried this recipe with a variety of different types, namely lime, lemon, orange, and even a tangerine in a pinch. I love the brightness that lime adds to the compote, but I have noticed that oranges tend to lend a more traditional cranberry sauce flavor if that's what you're looking for.
-This sauce runs a bit tangy, so if you prefer a sweeter sauce, more sugar may be needed. My recommendation is to taste as you go!
-Timing is not exact; just be aware of heat. It is too hot if the compote is at a rolling boil. A nice slow, steady simmer should be great!
-If honey is preferred, swap 1/2 cup honey with the 1 cup sugar. Once again, I recommend to taste as you go, and add more/less as you choose.
-If you can't find fresh cranberries, frozen should work just fine.
-If the compote is too chunky, let cool and blend or pulse on a food processor for a short amount of time. —Keeks
Makes: approx. 2 cups
1 bag or 3 cups
Medium sized lime, juiced
teaspoon Lime zest
cup Granulated sugar
teaspoon Ground cinnamon
teaspoon Grated ginger (OPTIONAL)
dash Allspice, use a light hand (OPTIONAL)
- Add all ingredients, including optional ingredients if desired, EXCEPT sugar to a medium saucepan.
- Place over medium-high heat.
- As cranberries begin to pop (usually around 5 mins), stir occasionally with a large spoon.
- Cranberries will begin to soften and release their juices; compote should be starting to simmer, or already simmering.
- Reduce heat if the compote is at a rolling boil!
- Mash softened cranberries with spoon, fork, or even a mashed potato smasher. Be gentle, as to avoid any hot splattering.
- Continue to stir, and add the sugar slowly, tasting as you add.
- When desired sweetness is reached, remove from heat and enjoy!