This shortbread dough is scented with orange zest and has nuttiness from rye flour. Stuff the layers of dough with dark chocolates (or fruit jams) before baking. They taste just like Pepperidge Farm's orange Milanos! —Mandy @ Lady and pups
- Makes 6 to 8 bars depending on size
(180 grams) unsalted butter
(90 grams) granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups
(170 grams) all-purpose flour
(100 grams) rye flour
semisweet or dark chocolate chips, or any fruit jams you prefer
In This Recipe
- TO MAKE THE SHORTBREAD DOUGH: In a food processor, add unsalted butter, granulated sugar, orange zest, kosher salt, and vanilla extract. Run until the butter is pale, fluffy, and creamy, approximately 2 minutes. Then add all-purpose flour and rye flour and pulse/run until a cohesive dough has come together. Gather the dough together, wrap it in parchment paper, and keep in the fridge until needed.
- TO BAKE THE COOKIES: Preheat the oven on 325° F (165° C). Line a 7-inch square cake mold with parchment paper. To stuff with chocolate: Divide the dough in half, then press one portion of it into the bottom of the mold, making it as even as you can. Scatter the semisweet or dark chocolate chips evenly on top, then press the other portion of the shortbread dough over to seal it. To stuff with fruit jams: Divide the shortbread dough in half, then press one portion of it into the bottom of the mold, making it as even as you can. Lift the parchment with the dough on top and set it aside. Line the mold with another piece of parchment and press the second portion of the shortbread dough on top. Spread a generous and even layer of and fruit jam you prefer (I used raspberry) over the dough, then peel the other half of the shortbread dough away from the first parchment and lay it flat on top of the jam. Press gently.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and score the cookies, using a small knife, into 6 or 8 bars, depending on desired size. Return it to the oven and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, until the top of the cookie is lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and gently re-score the lines over the cookies. Let the cookies cool inside the mold for 30 minutes, then transfer it onto a cooling rack to cool completely. Cut and break the bars along your scores, then roll each one in powdered sugar.