If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Sometimes splitting one cake recipe into smaller versions gives us freedom to present the same bake with some variations. Such is the case of this brown butter cake I divided in smaller molds and garnished some with apples, others with blueberries, or both. Light and fluffy, they are great for breakfast! —bonheurcuisine
Makes six 5" inch round cakes
For the cake
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups icing or powder sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup self raising or cake flour
- 5 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
For the cinnamon sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 11/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F. Grease six round 5" inch tart molds For the cinnamon sugar, combine the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
- Melt the unsalted butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer, swirling the pan occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until light golden. Remove from heat and strain in case there are traces of solid browned butter. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites in a small bowl just to break them up. Add the almond and vanilla extract. Sift the icing sugar and flour into a large bowl. Stir in the almond meal. Make a well in the centre. Gradually add the egg whites, stirring constantly with a metal whisk until combined. Add the brown butter and stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter spooning it into each mold, garnish with the apples and blueberries on top and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar
- Bake the mini cakes for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes. Unmold and turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Brown Butter
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites