Author Notes: Soft italian cookies with a lovely crackly snow coating. Sweet and chewy with a subtle hint of orange. —The Curious Baker
Makes: 15 cookies
grams icing sugar
grams ground almonds
teaspoon orange oil
grams egg whites
teaspoon baking powder
- Mix the ground almonds, baking powder and icing sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the orange extract/oil if using and mix well.
- In another bowl or with a stand mixer, whip the egg whites into stiff peaks.
- Add the egg whites to the ground almond mixture, cover with cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 24 hours or for at least 4 hours.
- The next day, cut the rice paper into about 20 oval shapes of 7cm by 4 cm. Dust your work surface with icing sugar
- Place the almond mixture on the dusted work surface and then roll it into a log or sausage shape.
- Slice the sausage into 1 cm balls, then place them on top of the rice paper ovals to act as the base for the biscuits
- Liberally dust the tops of the biscuits with icing sugar then arrange the biscuits on a baking tray lined with baking paper or silpat mat.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 160°C for about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Once you take the biscuits out of the oven they’ll be soft but will harden up once cooled down.
- These biscuits keep well when stored in an airtight container.