If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These light, fluffy cupcakes are inspired by a classic Norwegian cake, Kvæfjord Kake, lovingly referred to as “The World’s Best Cake” in English. It is a thin cake, topped with meringue and toasted almonds and layered with a mixture of whipped cream and custard. For the cupcake version, I adapted a family recipe for white cake, piled a cloud of meringue on top, and filled them with cream inspired by Norway’s best. —Kristin | Tasty Joy
- 3/4 cup Vanilla Custard
- 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
- Make the filling first so it can chill while you prepare the cake. I prefer to make my own vanilla custard with Bird's Custard mix, but store-bought works fine.
- Whip the cream and then fold it into the custard.
- Place filling in fridge until ready to use.
Cake and Meringue
- 3/4 cup White Sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter, Room Temperature
- 2 Egg Whites
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Creme Fraiche (or Sour Cream)
- 1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cups sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare cupcake tin by adding liners if not using silicone molds.
- Cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the first two egg whites and whip, then add the milk, vanilla, and crème fraîche, and whip.
- Gradually add the flour while stirring to combine; mix until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the liners or molds until three-quarters full, and set aside.
- Prepare the meringue (whisk last two egg whites until slightly stiff, then gradually add sugar while whisking until stiff and glossy).
- Fill a pastry bag or plastic baggie with meringue and clip the corner (if using a baggie) and pipe a spiral of meringue on top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle sliced almonds on top of each cupcake.
- Bake at 350F for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted into the cupcake under the meringue comes out clean, and the meringue is golden brown and the almonds are toasted.
- Cool completely.
- When the cupcakes are cool, gently lift off the meringue top in one piece; if it doesn’t lift off easily, carefully slide a sharp knife underneath.
- Remove the body of the cupcake from the liner or mold and scoop out the middle of the cake with a small spoon to make room for the filling.
- Spoon in some filling, spreading some around the top edges to hold the top back in place.
- Replace the meringue tops.
- Refrigerate if not serving immediately, and refrigerate leftovers…if there are any!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Egg Whites