If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Classic shortbread cookies decorated with vanilla and cocoa flavoured icing —Oh Sweet Day!
Makes 40 cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a large bowl, sift the flour and salt.
- Cream butter and powdered sugar in a bowl of a standing mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce the speed to low and beat in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Gather dough and form a dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into rounds using a floured cookie cutter. Place on the prepared baking sheets and place in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, or until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let the cookies cool a few minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To prepare icing, whisk powdered sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. Add more water if needed.
- Transfer half the icing to another small bowl. Stir in cocoa powder. Thin with water if needed.
- Spread white icing on half of each cookie’s flat side and cocoa icing on other half. Let stand until set, about 30 minutes.