If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe from a lovely lady who was my surrogate grandmother when I was growing up. It is light, fluffy, and delightfully lemony. Served with fresh berries, it is a heavenly ending to a rich meal. —love2cook
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Beat the egg yolks until light. Add sugar little by little, beating well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Soften the gelatin in 1/4 cup of cold water. Once it has softened, dissolve it over very low heat until it melts. Add the melted gelatin to the egg mixture, blending thoroughly. Chill until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Beat the egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- Beat the heavy cream to form peaks.
- Fold both the egg whites and whipped cream gently into the gelatin egg yolk mixture. Pour into a pretty serving dish and chill until set.
- I serve plain or with fresh berries. Helene used to add additional whipped cream on top which was truly decadent.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
More Great Recipes: