If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Crushed peppermint candies and peppermint buttercream sandwiched between two crumbly cocoa sablé cookies. —Riley Wofford
Makes 18 cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 cup 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl to combine.
- Beat the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer on low speed for about 3 minutes, until the butter is the size of peas. Add the egg and mix until well combined. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in three additions, blending until just incorporated.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide in half. Shape each piece of dough into a flat disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a few baking sheets with parchment paper. Transfer one disk of dough to a lightly floured work surface and roll out to 1/8-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut out circles of dough and arrange on the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies 1-inch apart. Repeat with the second half of dough. Cut a smaller circle out of the center of half of the circles of dough.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 16 round peppermint candies, crushed
- Beat the butter, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract in the bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until smooth and creamy. If needed, add the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thin out the icing. Fold in the crushed peppermints.
- Spread some icing over the flat side of one cookie. Place a cookie with a hole on top and press gently to secure. Repeat with the remaining cookies and icing.