Author Notes: Every weeks I buy fresh fruit and bananas are always present in the fruit basket. It’s a very versatile fruit and easy to cook, and if you adding chocolate and a little sugar, make them irresistible. —Emotion of Taste
grams self-raising flour
tablespoon bicarbonate of soda
grams caster sugar
large egg, beaten
grams unsalted butter, melted and cooled
grams chocolate chips, plus to sprinkle
brown sugar, to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan oven) mark 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate de soda and slat into a large mixing bowl and put to one side.
- Peel the bananas and mash with a fork in a bowl. Add the sugar, egg, milk and melted and cooled butter and mix until well combined.
- Add this to the flour mixture, with the chocolate chips. Stir gently, using only a few strokes, until the flour is only just incorporated – do not over-mix. The mixture should be lumpy. Spoon the mixture equally into the paper cases, half-filling them, and sprinkle with brown sugar and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and leave cool.