If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Christmas just isn't Christmas without this recipe. It's been a family tradition since 1916. The recipe has not changed much over time. The only documented change is the amount of sugar has been reduced. The original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and granulated sugar, but now only 1 cup is used.
The recipe also doesn't specify the type or size of pan. I typically use a bundt pan. —RogersParkCook
Makes 1 cake
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup nuts (recipe doesn't specify type. I use walnuts)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- Cream butter and sugar
- Add applesauce and baking soda mixture
- In other bowl, put in flour, pinch of salt, and baking powder.
- Add spices to dry ingredients.
- Add dry ingredients into moist mix in part
- Last, add raisins and nuts and stir together.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50-60 minutes