If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I learned this recipe from my grandparents. There are varying stories about its origin. Some say it came from from my great-grandmother and others the wife of a family friend. Despite its origins being shrouded in the mist of time, is is my go to recipe. At the time my uncle shared it in the parish cookbook, he said that it had been in the family for 60 years. So now we are closing in on the century mark. The longer it cooks the more flavorful and thicker it gets. Serve with your favorite ice cream, preferably home made vanilla. —Sauertea
Makes: 1-2 cups
ounces unsweetened chocolate
cups boiling water
- Heat water in the base of a double boiler. It should not come to a boil.
- Combine all the ingredients in the top of a double boiler and add the 1 1/12 cups of boiling water. Mix the ingredients until smooth. Make sure the water in the base of the double boiler does not come to a boil.
- Whisk occasionally.
- It is ok to start early in the day and let it cook most of the day over the double boiler. It will get very thick the longer it sits. The key is not letting the water in the double boiler boil
- Serve over your favorite ice cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2
More Great Recipes: