Author Notes: Zingy lemon bars perfectly combined with cream cheese for a twist on a traditional recipe. —Sylvie @ Roamingtaste
Makes: 16 bars
cup plain flour
cup desiccated coconut
tablespoons coconut oil
cup lemon juice
tablespoons lemon rind, finely chopped
cup brown sugar
grams cream cheese
In This Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the flours, coconut, butter and coconut oil in a bowl and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Press into the tray in an even layer and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, but keep the temperature in the oven consistent.
- Place the lemon juice, rind and sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and add in the butter and egg yolks. Return to the heat and whisk briskly until thickened and a bright yellow in color.
- Again remove from the heat and turn the heat down to very low.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir with the whisk until no lumps remain and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into the baking tray and place in a larger baking tray.
- Create a water bath, pouring boiling water half way up the larger baking tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully.
- Slice and serve with a little confectioner’s sugar on top.
- Note: When its cooked, there may be some sizzling juice on the top of the slice, don’t worry as this dissipates by the time the bars are cooled.