If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Zingy lemon bars perfectly combined with cream cheese for a twist on a traditional recipe. —Sylvie @ Roamingtaste
Makes 16 bars
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 30 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon rind, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 20 grams butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 350 grams cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180°/350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the flours, coconut, butter and coconut oil in a bowl and mix with a fork until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Press into the tray in an even layer and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven, but keep the temperature in the oven consistent.
- Place the lemon juice, rind and sugar in a saucepan and heat on medium until bubbling.
- Remove from the heat and add in the butter and egg yolks. Return to the heat and whisk briskly until thickened and a bright yellow in color.
- Again remove from the heat and turn the heat down to very low.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir with the whisk until no lumps remain and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into the baking tray and place in a larger baking tray.
- Create a water bath, pouring boiling water half way up the larger baking tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 35 minutes or until golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully.
- Slice and serve with a little confectioner’s sugar on top.
- Note: When its cooked, there may be some sizzling juice on the top of the slice, don’t worry as this dissipates by the time the bars are cooled.