If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm half German and my boyfriend of 16 years is first generation German so we tend to cook a lot of German food. At Christmas time, we always make this hot mulled wine with his family. It was great when they lived in Virginia and we'd warm up by the wood fire, talk and drink Gluhwein. Now that they live in South Florida, it's not so cold, but we still make it during the holidays to celebrate Christmas and being together! Find recipe nutrition and more photos at http://www.vegetarianized.com/2008/11/gluhwein/. —Vegetarianized.com
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 whole oranges
- 20 whole cloves
- 1.5 liters red wine
- In a large pot, combine 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir until sugar dissolves and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Meanwhile, cut oranges in half and juice them. Stir the juice into the sugar water.
- Push the whole cloves into the juiced orange halves and place them gently in the pot. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Pour in the wine and heat thoroughly for another 30 minutes. Taste and adjust for sugar and spice. Serve and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2