If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Serves 12 at least
pounds russet potatoes
pound onion (one real big one or a couple small)
stick of butter
gallon whole milk
whole allspice berries
Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel your potatoes and cut them into cubes. Put them in a pot, cover with water, add lots of salt, and bring to a boil. When they boil, reduce the heat and simmer until they are soft.
- At the same time, ask your brother or your uncle to peel the carrots and get your cousin to dice the carrots, the celery, and the onion into the tiniest loveliest pieces possible.
- Melt ALL that butter in a big frying pan, and cook the vegetables with lots of salt and pepper until they are soft and sweet
- Put the allspice into the milk, and heat it gently. Maybe in the microwave? Or on the stove if you have room.
- When the potatoes are soft, drain them and put them back into their pot. Add the vegetables and all their butter. Add the warm allspicy milk, but remove the allspice.
- Use a potato masher to mash everything to the consistency you like, and heat gently, but do not boil. Add more salt and pepper until it tastes exactly like grandma used to make it.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe, Part 2