If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fernanda was a Spanish girl who married Toufic,this Syrian lad.They got married in Argentina,had 3 handsome kids,and came to Brazil.They were my great-grandparents from my mother's side.My mom and I share great moments in the kitchen,trying to be as good in Arab cuisine as Vovó Fernanda was,and as we do,we cherish the recipes and the memories...and now I share our favorite recipe with you.Kibe is a sort of meatloaf,but not really...you can bake it or fry small portions in olive oil. —mensaque
Serves 6 to 8 people
- 1 pound of bulgur wheat
- 2 pounds of ground beef (ground it twice)
- 4 to 6 big onions,minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 cup of fresh mint,minced(or parsley if you HATE mint like my mom)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- black pepper(don't be stingy)
- olive oil
- The night before,rinse the bulgur wheat in a strainer,till the water comes out clear.Soak it in fresh water at room temperature overnight. The next day,drain the water and give it a good squeeze so that all the water is gone.You can use a cloth,but I rather use my fists,lol...Fernanda was Spanish,right?
- Mix the bulgur with the other ingredients,except for the olive oil.Use your hands,as if you were making bread.If your meat is too lean,use more butter.Place it on a baking tray,2 inches deep.Use the olive oil on the tray and on the top.Be generous with it.Mark the top with a knife,not too deep,criss-crossing it,creating a diamond pattern.
- Bake it at 360F for 1 hour,or until it forms a light crust,not too dry,though.Or if you want to try the fried version,you can shape balls and thin the tips,like a thick cigar.You can add spices to ricotta cheese or sauté some ground beef with onions to use as filling before forming the balls.I like mine plane and simple,and meaty...You can also serve it raw,with some pitta bread and hommus.
- If you have extra wheat make some Tabuleh to go with your Kibe.