A chunky chicken chili topped with a cornbread-y/polenta-y batter situation baked up to a crisp in your oven, also known as everything you want in one pot. If you're craving even more layers, top it with a scoop of salsa. —Kendra Vaculin
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes
- Serves 6
- For the chili
skinless chicken breast, cubed
clove garlic, minced
cans beans, drained and rinsed (I used one black, one Great Northern)
can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
(4-ounce) can hot green chilies
(12-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
chicken stock (optional)
- For the topping
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- In a large pot or deep saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add cubed chicken, garlic, coriander, cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. Cook until chicken is browned on all sides, then remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onion to the pot and cook down until soft and fragrant. Add beans, corn, chilies, and tomatoes, including the liquid. If there is not very much juice with the tomatoes, add up to 1/4 cup chicken stock. You don’t want a soupy chili at all, but enough liquid to cook everything together.
- Bring mix to a boil and allow to cook and thicken. When nearly done, add chicken and mix in, heating through to finish. Remove chili from heat.
- In a small pot, heat water and salt over medium high heat; it doesn’t need to be boiling. Stir in cornmeal and continue whisking while it incorporates the water and thickens, which should take about 5 minutes. When thick, add butter and mix in to melt. Remove from heat.
- In a deep round glass dish, pour all of the chili. Oh man. You just want to eat it now, don't you? Oh man. Now scoop the (essentially polenta) cornmeal mixture over the top of the chili, and spread into a single layer. Top with a sprinkling of black pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until polenta has firmed up. Allow to cool briefly, and then scoop into bowls to serve.
Recipe by: Kendra Vaculin
A fan of female driven comedies, a good beat, your hair today, and making foods for friends.