If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Christmas came early for me with the gift of this hand-me-down recipe of my Grandmother's from my Uncle John. —Emily | Cinnamon&Citrus
Makes 13" x 9" cake
- 1 cup Old fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups Boiling water
- 1 cup Granulated sugar
- 1 cup Brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup Shortening
- 2 Eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pour boiling water over oatmeal and let stand 20 minutes.
- Cream together the shortening, sugar and brown sugar with a handheld or stand mixer until well combined, then add the eggs and oatmeal mixture and mix to combine.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and mix briefly, just to combine.
- Pour into a buttered 13 x 9" pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Shredded coconut
- Mix all ingredients and spread over the cake when it is still warm out of the oven.
- Place the topped cake under the broiler for 4-5 minutes, monitoring closely. Remove when coconut just starts to brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Family's Best Thanksgiving Recipe
More Great Recipes: Desserts