If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Beautiful jewel-tone holiday dessert with tart fruit juxtaposing creamy citrus cheese filling. Cake needs to chill a day; warm compote goes on cold cake, which then chills another two hours. —Alyce Morgan
- 1 1/2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons Granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons Salted butter, very soft
- 32 ounces Cream cheese, soft (4- 8 oz packages)
- 1 tablespoon Each: fresh lemon juice and orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon Grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons Unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 5 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Sour cream
- 1 12-ounce package fresh cranberries
- 2 Oranges, unpeeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Cranberry juice or red wine
- 3/4 cup Granulated sugar
- Recipe is easy, but is in three parts: crust, filling, and topping. Cake must chill overnight; topping must be added while topping is hot and cake is cold. Topped cake must then chill another 2 hours. (Can freeze untopped cake, well-wrapped, up to one month.) Can be made in food processor or with electric mixer, or with very strong or determined arms.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. CRUST: Mix together graham cracker crumbs - softened butter until very well combined. Press into bottom and up sides of 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate while making cream cheese filling.
- FILLING: Beat together cream cheese with juices and vanilla extract until very smooth. Stir together sugar, rinds, flour, and salt and slowly add to the cheese mixture until well-combined. Add eggs at low speed, one egg at a time, into the cheese mixture. Stir in sour cream until well-blended. Pour filling into chilled crust. Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake on center rack of oven 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake another 45-55 minutes or until tester comes out nearly clean. Cool completely on rack. Cover well and refrigerate overnight or up to 3 days. Top cold cake with hot cranberry compote (recipe below) and chill another 2 hours before releasing cake from pan. Slice and serve.
- CRANBERRY COMPOTE OR TOPPING: Heat the cranberries - granulated sugar in a medium sauce pan over medium-high flame to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring very regularly, until fruit is very thick--20 - 30 minutes. Remove pieces of orange and cinnamon stick. Pour over cold cake in pan. (Refrigerate topped cake another two hours.)