Author Notes: My mom's favorite drink is a Cape Codder - vodka and cranberry juice cocktail. This is a grown-up version featuring gin, perfect for the holidays and winter months. This rendition is a take on a recipe originally published in Imbibe Magazine. —Emily Nichols | www.hungryinlove.com
Makes: 1 cocktail
Cranberry Gin Smash Cocktail
ounce rosemary simple syrup
ounce lemon juice
Cranberry + Rosemary Sprig Garnish
Rosemary Simple Syrup
sprigs fresh rosemary
- First make your simple syrup. Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Boil until all sugar has dissolved, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool, allowing rosemary to 'steep' in the syrup, 30-45 minutes.
- Remove rosemary sprigs and transfer to airtight container. Chill before using.
- To assemble your cocktail, muddle cranberries with rosemary simple syrup in a 16 oz pint glass.
- Add ice to fill half the glass.
- Add lemon juice + gin.
- Cover with cocktail shaker and shake well for 10-15 seconds.
- With a fine mesh strainer, strain liquid into serving glass.
- To serve, add a couple fresh ice cubes (equally delicious straight up if you fancy).
- Garnish with a rosemary sprig speared with a cranberry.