If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The baked eggs of your dreams. Silky, creamy and--as much as I hate to say it--unctuous. A starter for four or a meal for one. This dish is a bit of a blank slate to build upon. Fantastic with a pinch of fine herbs or divine with a pile of shaved truffles. Use this base recipe as a jumping off point for your own innovation and creativity. —Matthew Bounous
grams Crème Fraîche
cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
Maldon Sea Salt & Kosher Salt
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
pinch Cayenne Pepper
(Optional) Fine Herb mix--equal quantities of Parsley, Chervil, Chive & Tarragon
ounce (Optional) White Truffle
- Preheat oven to 425degrees F. And butter two 8-ounce ramekin. With a metal bowl and the 8-ounce ramekins side-by-side, separate the yolks from the egg whites. Place two yolks in each ramekin and the eggs whites in the metal bowl.
- Whisk the egg whites until just broken and foamy. Do not whip to any semblance of a soft or stiff peak. Set the bowl on a kitchen scale and zero. Add/measure the cream and crème fraîche. Then add about two-thirds of the grated parmigiano reggiano. Season with a pinch of kosher salt, a few turns of black pepper and a scant pinch of cayenne pepper--you want just enough to warm the mouth, but not too much that it tastes only of cayenne. Whisk until combined/incorporated. At this point, the egg white mixture should be light, airy and creamy.
- Sprinkle a pinch of the fine herb mix or shave a bit of truffle or whatever addition you would like over the yolks, then spoon half of the egg white mixture into each ramekin making sure to cover the yolks. Finish the tops with the remaining parmigiano reggiano. And place into the oven for 7-minutes.
- After 7-minutes, switch on the broiler and watch carefully until the tops are golden brown and the middle has the faintest jiggle. If it is fully set, then the yolks will probably be firm instead of runny and oozing--and that would be sad.
- Set another pinch of herbs in the middle. OR shave an ounce of white truffle on top. OR sprinkle a bit more parmigiano reggiano. And finally, finish with a few flakes of Maldon sea salt, then dive in with your favorite crusty bread (toasted or not) or maybe even a spoon.