Like most North Americans, I love Halloween. The history, the nostalgia and the excitement all jump-start us into Do-It-Yourself action to where we can’t help ourselves but to dress-up and party. It’s a very special annual event and I try to pay my respects by putting effort into costumes, candies and parties.
Makes: 40-45 pieces
cup cocoa powder
cup icing or confectioners sugar
cups nonfat milk powder
tablespoons melted butter
teaspoons vanilla extract
tablespoons spiced rum
pinches sea salt (coarse is preferable)
- In a bowl, mix the cocoa, honey, molasses and vanilla together. Once smooth, add the butter, powdered sugar, salt and rum.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix the milk powder into the mixture. Knead the tootsie mix with your hands, if you prefer. It should form a smooth looking lump when finished.
- Let it rest and further merge into tootsie-ness for 20 minutes.
- Using a knife or pizza-cutter cut the giant tootsie into strips. Then into one inch chunks. The chunks should be malleable and not sticky.
- Cut some wax paper into pieces large enough to wrap your tootsie chunks in. Wrap them.
- Bring them to a party and watch your friends devour them.