Author Notes: the simple version of a traditional Germans from Russia dish also known as Kase Knoephla, cheese buttons. —Prairie Californian
ounces cottage cheese (whole or lowfat)
teaspoon baking powder
quart heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients for the cheese buttons together in a large bowl.
- Place rounded tablespoons full of the cheese button mixture on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
- While buttons are cooking, prepare sauteed onions. Place 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions once butter is melted and let saute until caramelized. About 10-15 minutes. Once caramelized, remove from stove and set aside.
- Once cheese buttons are baked, remove from baking sheet and place in a casserole dish.
- Top with cream and sauteed onions. Don't be stingy with the cream. The cheese buttons should be almost covered with cream.
- Place the casserole dish in the 350 degree oven and bake for another 20 minutes.