If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tart fruit, a spicy gingerbread crust, and a healthy dose of sugar, makes this a show-stopping dessert perfect for the holiday. I recommend serving warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. —Mary Catherine Tee
For the Dough:
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 5 cups AP flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- In a large bowl, cream shortening with brown sugar, cinnamon, and ground ginger until fluffy.
- Beat in corn syrup and eggs until well blended.
- Mix 2 cups of flour with the baking soda; beat into creamed mixture.
- Stir in remaining 3½ cups flour, working with hands if necessary to smooth dough. Divide into four parts and wrap airtight and chill for at least an hour.
For the filling:
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- pinches salt
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon cream or half-and-half
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Roll a ball of gingerbread dough out into a thin circle. It doesn't have to be perfect. We're going for rustic here.
- In a bowl, stir together the berries, sugar (all but 1 Tbsp), ginger, cinnamon, salt, lemon juice, and corn starch.
- Spoon the filling onto the rolled dough, leaving a 2-inch border uncovered around the edge. Fold up the edges over the filling, forming loose pleats around the center.
- Mix egg yolk and cream together. Brush edges of crust with egg wash and sprinkle with reserved Tbsp. of sugar.
- Bake until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden brown, about 35-40 minutes.Take a peek after about 20 minutes to make sure the edges aren't browning too quickly. If they are, cover edges with foil until galette is done.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Tart