Author Notes: This rich dessert teams coffee with ricotta, a popular flavour combination in Italy. —ambradambra
chocolate muffins, medium-sized
cup espresso coffee, strong and cold combined with a dash of Tia Maria
tablespoons additional espresso coffee, strong and cold
grams ricotta, light
- Bottom layer: Break up muffins and arrange evenly in base of four dessert tumblers, and sprinkle with espresso coffee and liqueur mixture and set aside.
- For the middle/coffee custard layer: Heat milk on low flame until small bubbles form around edge and remove from heat.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolk with sugar and flour until smooth.
- Pour hot milk into egg mixture and transfer to small pan, then stir constantly over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer and cook for an extra minute.
- Remove from heat and add cold espresso coffee.
- Set aside to cool.
- For top/ricotta layer: Combine ricotta and caster sugar until smooth.
- Sprinkle with chocolate shards and chill in refrigerator for 2-3 hours.