If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: No need to suffer through a week of sniffles and sneezing. This hearty soup is packed with all the ingredients you need to knock a cold right out of you.
The 3 key ingredients:
Turmeric, which exhibits anti-viral properties (colds are viruses, not bacteria, which is why antibiotics won’t work for a cold).
Ginger, a powerful anti-inflammatory and immune-booster, also exhibits anti-viral activity in fresh form.
Split Peas, which contain all 9 essential amino acids, making them an excellent source of protein, which our bodies need to build and repair cells.
So, whether you want a natural cold remedy, or simply a delicious warming winter soup, try this recipe! —Maria Marlowe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 cup carrots, sliced into rounds
- 1.5 cups split peas
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat soup pot to medium low and add oil.
- Add spices, onions, and ginger and sautee for 1-2 minutes.
- Add carrots and let cook another minute, before adding split peas, broth, and water.
- Cook covered for 30-40 minutes, depending on desired consistency. Taste. Season with salt and pepper and serve.