If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chicken soup is well known for its restorative properties. Here's mine, which is a touch on the different side. —Kayb
- 1 pound chicken pieces (I prefer a mix of thighs and breasts
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced in 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup cider (can be either hard or regular)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each cardamon, coriander, allspice, turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Brown chicken pieces well in olive oil. Move to a Dutch oven, add salt and 3 cups of water, and put over medium-high heat until it boils, then reduce to simmer.
- In same pan, saute' onion until limp and beginning to color. Add garlic and saute for another two minutes, until fragrant. Add to chicken pot.
- Add diced sweet potatoes (butternut squash will also work) and cider to pot.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, until chicken is falling apart and potatoes are soft. If more liquid is needed, use equal parts cider and water.
- Remove chicken pieces and shred meat, discarding skin and bones. Return meat to pot. Add yogurt and simmer another 15 minutes.