If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chocolate and crushed chilies come together in rich and spicy #lentil #muffins that will satisfy both your decadent sweet tooth and your inner nutritionist. http://www.ourfreshkitchen.com —ourfreshkitchen
- 3/4 cup brown lentils
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chilis
- 2 eggs (or 2 Tbsp chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Bring the water and salt to a boil, then add lentils and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the lentils are soft. When they are done, remove the pot from the heat and let the lentils cool slightly for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease muffin pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients; if you're using chia seeds, mix them with water and let them sit for about 5 minutes before adding the other ingredients.
- Add the cooked lentils to the dry ingredients and cream them together to form a shaggy, dry dough, then add the wet ingredients and mix just until everything is combined.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin pans and bake at 375F for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the pans and cool on a wire rack.