If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
teaspoon saffron threads
milliliters milk (1 cup)
grams unsalted butter (1,7 oz. / 1/4 cup / 4 tbsp)
grams sour cream or Greek yogurt (3,5 oz. / 1/2 cup)
grams bread flour (1 lb / 4 cups)
grams caster sugar (1,7 oz. 1/4 cup)
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoons active dry yeast
raisins or sultanas
tablespoons brandy (optional)
teaspoons ground cardamom (optional)
- Combine the milk and saffron threads, and heat in a pan or in the microwave until warm but not hot. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a separate pan, and allow to cool before stirring it into the milk.
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, baking powder and salt, and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Add the yeast and mix.
- Stir in the milk and sour cream. Bring together to form a dough.
- Lightly flour your working surface, tip the dough and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Put the dough back in the bowl, cover with Clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm spot for 1½ hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Grease two baking trays, or line them with baking paper.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knock it back in one or two punches.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces (mine were about 80g/2,8 oz. each).
- Roll out each piece into a 25 cm/10 in. cylinder and roll each end in so as to form an S shape.
- Place on the baking sheets and add a raisin into the centre of each of the two “eyes” of the rolls.
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes, or until the buns have doubled in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Beat the egg and brush over the buns.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before serve warm with cold milk, hot chocolate… or a cup of glögg (mulled wine).
- Find more recipes on my blog http://alalemon.com