Author Notes: My mother made this to accompany ham on Easter. She claimed she just made it up herself, but I think my Grandmother originated it. —Karen Taggart
pound Idaho or russet potatoes
ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
tablespoons minced onion
tablespoons butter, cut into 1/2 in squares
cup cold water
tablespoons chopped green pepper
- Peel potatoes and slice in the Cuisinart with the 2 mm slicing blade. Place slices in cold water so they don't discolor while you proceed.
- Spray cooking oil on 3 quart casserole dish (pyrex) and set oven to 400 degrees
- Place potato slices, slightly overlapping, in one layer in the casserole dish and sprinkle with salt, pepper, minced onion, green pepper and shredded cheese. Place 2 -4 tiny (3/8") squares of butter on top of the cheese. Repeat. There will be 4 to 5 layers, so plan the amounts for the layers accordingly.
- Mix cornstarch with cold water and pour over casserole.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes. Let sit for 5- 10 minutes before serving
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0