If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These are a family favorite! No butter or milk like most potato bread/roll recipes, yet still tender and delicious. Also a time-saver, since there's no need to knead. I like to top the breadsticks with rosemary, but you can omit it or substitute with an equal amount of minced parsley. —ohyoucook
Makes 22-24 breadsticks
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups warm water, divided
- 6 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yeast and sugar into 1 cup of the water. Let stand 5 minutes or until mixture is very foamy.
- Meanwhile, use 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to grease a 2-quart bowl. Line a medium-sized cookie sheet with parchment paper; lightly grease parchment with another tablespoon of olive oil. Set both aside.
- With an electric mixer fitted with beaters, mix yeast mixture with remaining 1/2 cup of warm water, potato flakes, the egg, 1/2 cup of the olive oil, salt and 2 cups of the flour on the lowest speed for 1 minute. Slowly add flour, a 1/2 cup at a time, until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and somewhat resembles mashed potatoes (about 2 additional minutes).
- Transfer dough to prepared oiled bowl, turning dough to grease all sides. Cover bowl with a clean dish towel and place in a warm draft-free location for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Uncover bowl and punch dough down. Place dough on prepared cookie sheet. Using lightly greased hands, shape dough into a rectangle approximately 10 by 12 inches and about 1/2 inch thick. Cover and let rise in a warm location for another 30 minutes.
- Uncover and brush dough with remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with chopped rosemary (if using). Use a sharp knife or pizza wheel to cut dough in half lengthwise, then cross-wise into strips 1-inch thick; do not separate strips.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. To serve, pull breadsticks apart.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0