If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A classic dish made interesting by the addition of herbs and spices to jazz your taste buds. A delicate lavender scented version for my 7 yr old and a spiced one for me. Toss in some popcorn chicken along with the fries and serve them in newspaper cones for a fun treat. —Namrata
For the fries
- 1 pound russet potatoes, scrubbed clean with skin intact
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
For the homemade garam masala and lavender seasoning
- 1/2 cup coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 2" pieces cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried lavender flowers
- Pre heat oven to 400F. Line 2 sheets with parchment and keep aside.
- For the garam masala: Heat a pan on medium. Dry roast the coriander seeds for 2 mts. Toss in the cloves, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cumin seeds and whole black pepper. Dry roast until fragrant for another 5 mts. Remove from heat. let cool. Grind in a spice grinder and store in a cool, dry place. (Alternately, you can use 1 tsp of any readymade store bought garam masala powder)
- Slice the potatoes into 1/4 inch slices. Julienne the slices. Toss the julienned potatoes with olive oil and sea salt. Divide them equally between the 2 prepared sheets.
- Sprinkle the crushed dried lavender flowers onto one set of the potatoes. Toss well until well coated. Sprinkle 1 tsp of the garam masala onto the 2nd set of potatoes and toss well until well coated.
- Bake for 25 to 30 mts or until golden brown. Remove. Let cool for 5 mts and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0