If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My friend Kim is on a special doctor prescribed diet at the moment, which made me sad until I heard that among the allowed foods are sweet potatoes and lamb, and cinnamon is an OK spice. That is the start of something good! I love lamb and sweet potatoes but usually lamb is the star so here I decided to flip it and make the sweets the main attraction and little lamby meatballs the accent. Kim also loves tzathini - a sort of tahini tzatziki mashup. Good stuff.
** recommended listening - Toni Price "The Start Of Something Good" **
** NOTE - my photos came out crappy so I am just showing you the pretty purple sweet potatoes ** —aargersi
- 1 purple sweet potato
- 1 standard issue orange sweet potato
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 4" sprigs of rosemary - stripped off the stem and minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup grated onion
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I like a regular one like stonyfield as opposed to a thicker greek yogurt for this)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper
- THE SWEETS: Heat the oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly brush it with olive oil. Peel the potatoes and cut them evenly into about 1/2" cubes. Put them in a mixing bowl and add 2/3 of the rosemary, 1 tsp cinnamon, and a good hearty pinch each of salt and pepper along with the rest of the olive oil. Toss them to coat evenly, then spread them out on the baking sheet in a single layer and pop them in the oven. Don't rinse the bowl.
- THE LITTLE MEATS: Put the lamb into the bowl. Add the grated onion, remaining rosemary and cinnamon, 1 tbs. mint, and a tsp each of salt and pepper. Gently mix this all together. Form the meat into small meatballs, I made 16 and set them on a plate as I went. When all of the meatballs are ready, pull the baking sheet from the oven. It should be sizzling away and the potatoes should be showing signs of tenderness. Nestle the meatballs in amongst the potatoes. Bits that actually touch the foil will brown up. Back into the oven with it!
- After about 15 minutes, pull the sheet out and turn the meatballs and toss the potatoes a bit. Back into the oven.
- TZATHINI: Whisk the yogurt, remaining mint, tahini, lemon juice and a hearty pinch of salt together. Taste and adjust the flavors if you'd like.
- When the potatoes are tender, the lamb is done (app 160 degrees for medium, or just go with nicely browned) pull the baking sheet out and drizzle everything with about half of the tazthini. Put it back in the oven for just a couple of minutes to warm.
- Serve your Sweets and Little Lamb Meats with the remaining tzathini. Add a salad and a glass of wine and you have dinner in the bag!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0