Author Notes: To avoid a gummy and heavy texture, the potatoes are baked instead of boiled. The potatoes and the flour are then gently incorporated by lightly folding, mixing, and softly kneading. By keeping kneading to a minimum, this recipe allows the gnocchi to have a fluffier texture and prevents it from becoming overworked and chewy. Although heavenly on its own, this gnocchi tastes even better when paired with a pistachio pesto. This is a vegan recipe. —genevieve y
cup pistachios, raw and shelled- although toasted would be delicious too!
sea salt, to taste
grams russet potatoes
grams semolina flour
grams plain or all purpose flour
tablespoons olive oil
pistachios and basil, to garnish
black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/392ºF.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the potatoes. Drizzle the potatoes with two tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt. Bake for an hour.
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the pesto. Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend. Season to taste.
- Once the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven. Cut them in half, and allow them to cool. Once cooled, peel the potatoes.
- Using a ricer, rice the potatoes into a large bowl. If you don't have a ricer, a grater will work too.
- Sift half the flour and 1/2 teaspoon of salt onto a large work surface. Add the potatoes, and gently incorporate the flour, salt, and potatoes. Mix with your fingers until the ingredients just come together, and be careful not to overwork the dough. Slowly add the rest of the flour and continue to mix with your fingers. Softly knead, and roll the dough into long ropes.
- Bring a large pot of water and 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt to a boil.
- Using a scraper or a knife, cut the gnocchi into approximately 3/4 inch pieces.
- Roll the gnocchi out using a gnocchi roller or a fork. Shape them by assertively pressing down and against the ridges.
- Drop the gnocchi into the pot and cook by batch. The gnocchi are done once they've floated to the top.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the gnocchi from the pot. Set them aside on a flat surface to prevent them from sticking to one another.
- Pour the pesto into a large pan over medium heat. Add the gnocchi and quickly sauté.
- Remove from the heat and portion out the gnocchi.
- Garnish the gnocchi with grated pistachios and basil, and a crack of black pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes 2.0