If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Everyone likes waffles. They are even better for you when they are whole wheat and topped with cooked fruit instead of syrup and butter. —Jimmy Hoxie
Whole Wheat Waffles
- 2 cups White whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 2 cups Low fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking, soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. If your baking soda, sugar, or baking powder are clumpy, you may need to sift them.
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture and mix. It should be a little lumpy, don’t over mix it.
- . Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray. Scoop the manufacturer’s recommended amount of batter into the waffle iron and bake until they are golden and crispy. Repeat with the remaining batter. Place the cooked waffles into a cookie sheet with a cooling rack and place the cookie sheet into the oven at it’s lowest setting to keep the waffles warm while you are preparing the remaining batter. Serve hot with spiced apples, or allow them to cool to room temperature, wrap them individually and freeze them for up to 3 months. You can re heat them in the toaster or oven.
- 4 Apples, preferably a mixture of sweet and tart
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- Wash, core, and slice the apples thinly.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add the butter and swirl the pan to coat the bottom with butter.
- Add the apples and stir. Once the apples are softened slightly, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Continue to stir until the apples are soft. Serve hot or room temperature over waffles, sponge cake, or frozen yogurt.